The Day of the Dad
Mark your calendars friends because Father’s Day is this Sunday, June 18th!
*Calling all last minute planners like me*
Whether he may be a Gadget-Obsessed Dad, a Trendy Dad, an Overprotective Dad, a MasterChef, a Handyman, a Nostalgic Dad, an Emotional Dad Who Will Most Definitely Cry At Your Graduation/Wedding/Etc. Dad, a Foul-Mouthed, a Frugal or a Family Man Dad; we see this day as an opportunity to show appreciation to the leading men in our lives—plus Father’s Day is an excuse to gather up friends and family, fire up the grill, throw around the ball and enjoy the great outdoors. It’s all too common for our dads to expect a less is more approach when it comes to a day that honors them; so this year (and all the years that follow), strive to show the one who plays ‘dad’ in your life how much they mean to you.
Before you race to Nordstrom at La Cantera, consider the following activity options from free & homemade to family outings & dad jokes below, rather than buying a gnarly patterned, overpriced tie he’s just going to stash in his sock drawer anyway-unless he’s Ron Burgundy in Anchorman, then carry on.
However before I go any further, I want to recognize the single mothers out there who do BOTH jobs every.single.day. You are NOT forgotten. Every family has a different and unique dynamic and regardless if you live in a traditional household or not, it’s the imperfections that make things beautiful.
From the avid golfer to the grill master, there’s something on this list that will suit your dad! So keep scrolling for Father’s Day in SA ideas…
- Father Fest: Come out to the beer hall June 18th for Father Fest 2017, a day dedicated to dads!This event is free & benefits Pints for Prostates, and the fight to find a cure. Things will start at 11am with brunch. There will also be a pig roast. Several food trucks will be onsite all day. VIP table packages available (contact us for details.) PLUS: The Urology Place will be offering free onsite PSA testing 11am - 3pm. The testing will be for PSA, testosterone, and lipid levels. There will be a silent auction with all proceeds going to #PintsForProstates. Washer Tournament: Sign-up by 1pm. Prizes for winners! Kids: Bring them! Our beer hall & garden is ALWAYS a family-friendly place. There will be a bouncy castle and big slide for them to play on. Pets: Bring them too! We're ALWAYS a pet-friendly. Please make sure that they are leashed.
DJ Tanner noon-2pm
Clint Tomerlin & Lacy Brinson Live 2-4pm
The Texas T and the Shine Runners 4-6pm
Father’s Day at the San Antonio Aquarium: Dads and Grandfathers get in FREE on Father's Day! This is the perfect opportunity to show your appreciation for the big guy who works hard just for you all year long with some fun arts and crafts. So join us on Father’s Day for an opportunity to make a custom clown fish card for dad!
- 7th Annual Dia de los Daddys Car Show and Swap Meet: Father’s Day has never been this much fun. Traders Village presents it’s 7th Annual Dia de los Daddys Car Show and Swap Meet, Saturday and Sunday, June 17 & 18, 2016. For more information to show your vehicle or sell your car parts, call 210-473-5122 or 520-440-9120.
- Topgolf: No need to make dinner reservations AND have an activity fun for the whole family planned-drive it out of the course with a double whammy at Topgolf!!
- Does your dad HATE crowds and would much rather prefer a home cooked meal on the back patio or favorite recliner? Consider wining and dining in the comfort of your home with this Father’s Day menu I found on the Food Network website! Best of all, this four-course meal won’t have you in the kitchen for the majority of the day, see below for an easy dad’s day menu ready in under an hour! Tip included J
- First Course: Garlic Country Break with Whipped Ricotta Butter (20 minutes)
- Second Course: Butterflied Lobster Tails with Garlic Lemon Butter (20 minutes)
- Third Course: Giada De Laurentiis’ Grilled Lamb Chops with Nancy Fuller’s Garlic Mashed Potatoes (10 minute)
- Fourth Course: The Pioneer Woman’s Cookies and Cream Cups (5 minutes)
The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach amiright?
While you’re at dinner, provide dad with some entertainment by providing an ensemble of, dare I say it-dad jokes! The best kind of jokes in my opinion-knee slappin’ face smackin’ completely embarrassing but ever endearing puns and jokes fit for the dad of all shapes, sizes and colors. You’ll have dad belly laughing in no time!
- ‘I would tell a joke about pizza, but it’s a little cheesy.’
- ‘I gave all my dead batteries away today…free of charge.’
- ‘Two peanuts were walking down the street. One was a salted.’
- ‘What’s the difference between a piano, a tuna, and a pot of glue?...You can tuna piano, but you can’t piano a tuna.’ What about the glue? ‘I knew you’d get stuck there.’
- ‘Did you hear about the cheese factory that exploded in France?...There was nothing left but de Brie.’
For the grand finale, top off dinner and jokes with a gift from the kids or from the heart that’ll be sure to make him feel proud to be called dad. Below are gift ideas, DIYs and crafts that’ll be sure to be the cherry on top of your Father’s Day Extravaganza!
- Nineteen Fun and Clever Do It Yourself Father’s Day Gifts from Kids
- Dad’s Stache in a Jar
- Dad’s Toolbox Free Printable
- Building Memories with Dad
- Father’s Day Cards
- Father’s Day Gift Bag
- Father’s Day Pop Box Set
- Candy Card
- DIY Project for Kids
- Lottery Ticket Bouquet
- Photo Cube
- Grill Set Holder – Grillin’ and Chillin’ Sign
- LOVE Father’s Day Breakfast in Bed
- DIY Beer Coasters
- DIY Lego Key Holder
- Shrinky Dink Kit (personal fave)
- Homemade Frame
- Father’s Day Card and coupons
- Best Farter Ever I Mean Father shirt
Now get on your way! You have a few days left so GO GO GO! I hope this week’s blog has helped and empowered you to celebrate all things dad this weekend. Finally, I’d like to say thank you, to the dads, the grandpas, the single mothers, the step dads, the parental guardians and father figures everywhere, we wish you a very Happy Father’s Day.
Not all heroes wear capes.