A in the Melbourne Institute Worker Paper series found that, for workers over 40-years-old, a three-day workweek could result in their best performance.
WHAT!? You mean I'm killing myself working 5-6 days a week when I should only be working 3 days?
After factoring in people’s quality of life, economic well-being, family structures and employment, economic researchers found that individuals who worked an average of 25 hours per week tended to perform the best. In fact, overall cognitive performance would rise until people hit the 25-hour mark, at which point cognitive test scores began dropping because of fatigue and stress.
Well, dang! No wonder I'm tired and stressed. Think of all the wonderful things I could be doing work-wise if I only worked 3 days! Too bad we're missing out on them because I have to work way more. It's really a loss for everyone involved. SURELY the boss should learn about this.
Just fyi...these are the big signs that you're overworked.
- Turning to alcohol or drugs to relax
- Working long hours but having no productive results to show for it
- You’re lacking sleep and feeling fatigued all day
- Feelings of sadness or depression are starting to creep into your life
- On top of long hours, you’re even working overtime
- Your eyes are sore and your body’s aching
- Relationships with your children, spouse, or friends seem to be falling apart
(TheHeartySoul) Photo: Getty/Dan Dalton